It’s no secret: Video marketing is here to stay.
From interactive video to augmented reality, the video technology landscape is changing drastically, and users are engaging with visual content more and more. That means the opportunity to attract qualified leads and convert more users through video marketing is bigger than ever before.
Has your company gotten on board yet?
Don’t take our word for it — we’ve compiled statistics from some of the most prominent media and video marketing resources to show you just how important video is to your sales and marketing funnels.
Video’s Role in Attracting New Customers
Businesses know video is growing.
1. Video usage in 2017 saw a massive increase, growing 17% overall. (Wyzowl)
2. Of businesses that don’t currently use video, 65% plan on doing so in 2018 — and 99% of those that currently do, plan on continuing. (Hubspot)
3. Digital video marketing is a $135 billion industry in the U.S. alone. (Forbes)
4. On average, each American business will spend $20,000 on video marketing in 2018. (Forbes)
If you make a video, they will come.
5. Of businesses using video marketing, 76% reported an increase in traffic due to video. (Wyzowl)
6. The number of people watching videos online only continues to grow, with video predicted to make up to 80% of all global traffic by 2019. (Tubular Insights)
7. More than 500 million hours of video are watched on YouTube everyday. (Buffer)
Video helps attract more customers.
8. Businesses and marketers who used video ended up growing revenue 49% faster than non-video users in 2017. (Vidyard)
9. Enjoyment of video advertising increases purchase intent by 97% and brand association by 139%. (Kissmetrics)
Video ads stick with the viewer.
10. Because of its visual nature, 80% of users can recall a video ad they’ve seen in the past 30 days. (Forbes)
11. 30-second ads have a 30% higher view-through rate (VTR) than 15-second ads. (Think with Google)
How Video Can Help Better Engage Viewers
The people prefer video.
12. When video and text are both available on the same page, 72% of consumers prefer video to learn about a product or service. (Wyzowl)
13. Additionally, 59% of senior executives favor video over text. (Digital Information World)
14. Organic Facebook engagement is highest on posts with videos (13.9%), with photos coming in second (13.7%). (Locowise)
Video encourages visitors to stay longer.
15. Of those with videos on-site, 80% of marketers say video has increased dwell time. (Hubspot)
16. 65% of senior executives navigate over to a site after viewing a related YouTube video. (Single Grain)
Socialize in the right places.
17. Consumers engage with branded videos the most on Facebook (49%), followed by YouTube (32%), then Instagram (24%). (Tubular Insights)
18. LinkedIn is the second most-favored channel for sharing business-related content after email. (Neil Patel)
19. Videos in email have been shown to increase click-through rates (CTR) by over 96% on the first introductory email. (Single Grain)
20. Emails with the word “video” in the subject line are opened 7% more often. (Single Grain)
Explainer videos do help explain.
21. 95% of people have watched an explainer video to learn more about a product or service. (Wyzowl)
22. Viewers retain 95% of a message after watching it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Wirebuzz)
Nurture Prospective Leads Better with Video
Understanding, and the bottom line.
23. 97% of video marketers reported that video increased user understanding of a product or service, and 76% reported video helped them increase sales. (Wyzowl)
24. Explainers, product demos, and how-to videos are the most common videos produced. (VidYard)
Video is important to decision making.
25. 90% of users report that product videos are helpful in the decision process of the buyer’s journey. (Strategic-IC)
26. 46% of users act after viewing a video ad. (WordStream)
27. When users enjoy video ads, their purchase intent is increased by 97%. (Strategic-IC)
Video compels to buy.
28. 84% of consumers surveyed were convinced to buy a product or service after watching a brand’s video. (Neil Patel)
29. Including a video on your landing page can increase conversions by more than 80%. (WordStream)
Nurture with video in email.
30. Emails with video content lead to an increase in click-through rate (CTR) of 200-300%. (Forbes)
31. Including video thumbnails instead of images in your email can increase clicks by over 21%. (Wistia)
Use Video to Delight Your Customers and Keep Them Coming Back
Sponsored video is no longer taboo.
32. Sponsored video content views on Facebook has jumped 258% since 2016, and shows no sign of stopping through 2019. (Tubular Insights)
33. Like rates for non-sponsored posts and sponsored posts are nearly identical. (AdWeek)
Give the people what they want.
34. 85% of people said they’d like to see more video from brands in 2018. (Wyzowl)
35. 67% of users watch more video on social networks than they did a year ago. (Tubular Insights)
36. 56% of consumers believe that a company should have video content on its website. (Forbes)
Delightful videos will get shared.
37. After watching a branded video they enjoyed, 83% of consumers would consider sharing it with their friends. (Wyzowl)
38. Videos are shared 1200% more times than links and text combined. (Virtuets)
Video supports customer support.
39. 47% of businesses report relying on video content to reduce support queries. (Hubspot)
40. “How-to” searches on YouTube are growing 70% year over year. (Search Engine Island)
Best Practices for Creating Your Own Video
Longer videos reap diminishing returns.
41. After one minute, only 5% of viewers stop watching videos, but 60% will stop watching after two minutes. (VideoGuru)
42. Average retention rate for videos over 30 minutes is only 10%. (VidYard)
43. 95% of consumers believe a video should be less than 2 minutes long. (Wyzowl)
Show and (let someone else) tell.
44. The top three most effective video types are product demo videos (49%), tutorial videos (50%), and customer testimonial videos (51%). (Forbes)
45. 62% of consumers watch product review videos before making a purchase. (Mediakix)
Make sure your explainer video is clear.
46. 83% of businesses say their homepage explainer video is effective. (Wyzowl)
47. Explainer videos less than 15 seconds long are shared 37% more often. (IdeaMachineStudio)
Mobile is on the move.
48. By 2019, video will account for about 78% of the world’s mobile data traffic. (Entrepreneur)
49. Mobile phone viewers are poised to reach 175 million by 2019, with 18 to 24-year-olds already watching 36 minutes of video on their smartphones per week as of February 2018. (Statista)
50. The average mobile-viewing session on YouTube lasts more than 40 minutes. (Kissmetrics)
Final Thoughts: Video Marketing Trends Heading into 2019
The ultimate video platform of 2019? LinkedIn.
51. LinkedIn video use is up 17% from last year. (Wyzowl)
52. While only 38% of marketers share video content on LinkedIn right now, three-quarters of those surveyed reported it to be a successful tactic and 55% plan on continuing or starting in 2018. (Hubspot)
One platform to skip in 2019? (Hint: Snapchat)
53. Only 11% of businesses surveyed have used Snapchat for video marketing, but even worse, only 9% reported an intent to use it in 2019. (Hubspot)
54. Additionally, only 27% of those who’ve used Snapchat have reported it as being effective. (Hubspot)
55. Less than 400 brands bought ads on Snapchat Discover channels between November 2017 and January 2018. (Marketing Land) Facebook, in turn, has over 5 million active advertisers each month. (Reuters)
Live for live video.
56. Viewers will watch a live video approximately three times longer than a pre-recorded one. (Social Media Today)
57. 59% of people prefer watching live videos online over live TV. (MarTech)
58. 20% of all Facebook videos are broadcast live. (Buzzsumo)
Hot trend going into 2019? Interactive video.
59. 24% of businesses have used interactive video marketing and 43% plan on using interactive video in the future. (Wyzowl)
60. Completion rates for interactive videos are around 90%. (Business)
Thinking about a video?
We produce high-quality affordable videos nationwide.